Chinatown (1974)

 IMDB   8.3               
  

 Jack's Rating :  





Chinatown is the best of the neo-nors and one of the best movies ever made.

J.J. Gittes is a private detective. He is is a former policeman and is something of a flawed man. He is hired by Evelyn Mulwray who suspects that her husband is having an affair. Gittes then finds out he was hired by an impersonator, and when Mr. Mulwray is found dead, Jake finds himself right in the middle of a mystery.

As Jake investigates he gets deeper and deeper in to a scandal involving the L.A. water supply. Jake gets to know the real Evelyn Mulwray (Faye Dunaway) and gets drawn deeper in to the mystery.

Greed, murder, corrupation and incest are all exposed as Gittes gets drawn in to the noir world by the mysterious Mrs. Mulwray.

As the movie ends, and Jake finds out what is really going on, he is more disturbed than ever. He is told : "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Great acting, story, and style.

A great ending to a great movie. Sometimes in the complicated world of neo-noir corruption has infested the whole world and there is nothing you can do about it. Just about as dark an ending as there is in the movies.



Quotes:

Walsh: Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

Noah Cross: 'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.


Evelyn Mulwray: What were you doing there?
Jake Gittes: Working for the District Attorney.
Evelyn Mulwray: Doing what?
Jake Gittes: As little as possible.
Evelyn Mulwray: The District Attorney gives his men advice like that?
Jake Gittes: They do in Chinatown.

Evelyn Mulwray: She's my daughter.
Jake Gittes: I said I want the truth!
Evelyn Mulwray: She's my sister...
Evelyn Mulwray: She's my daughter...
Evelyn Mulwray: My sister, my daughter.
Jake Gittes: I said I want the truth!
Evelyn Mulwray: She's my sister AND my daughter!

Lt. Escobar: How'd you get past the guard?
Jake Gittes: Well, to tell you the truth, I lied a little.

Morty: Can you believe it? We're in the middle of a drought, and the water commissioner drowns. Only in L.A.


Noah Cross: You've got a nasty reputation, Mr. Gittes. I like that.

Jake Gittes: Have you ever heard the expression "Let sleeping dogs lie"? Sometimes you're better off not knowing.


Noah Cross: Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water.