Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

 IMDB   7.6      
  

Jack's Rating :  





Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer star in this comedy that pokes fun at and pays tribute to film noir. The film has a plot that twists and turns and is really hard to follow, just like any good noir movie should be.

Harry Lockart is a small time thief who accidentally ends up in a film audition. When he gets a shot at the role he heads out to L.A. In L.A. he meets Gay Perry, a detective, who is to help coach him for the part he is going for.

Harry also meets the girl of his dreams, Harmony Faith Lane, who he was in love with when he was very young. Harmony is now a struggling actress.

The movie has some great light moments but also has dark moments involving murder and incest. Somehow it all really works.

Harry breaks the third wall by explaining the plot, not in voice-overs, but by talking directly to the audience.

The movie is in color, has some humor and comic relief, but it is still really good neo-noir, with a comic twist.

The movie is divided in to segments names after Raymond Chandler stories : 1. "Trouble is My Business", 2. "The Lady in the Lake", 3. "The Little Sister", 4. "The Simple Art of Murder", and Epilogue: "Farewell, My Lovely".

Quotes:

Harry: Do you think I'm stupid?
Perry: I don't think you'd know where to put food at, if you didn't flap your mouth so much. Yes I think you're stupid.

Harry: Don't worry, I saw Lord of the Rings. I'm not going to end this 17 times

Perry: How about you, Harry, did your father love you?
Harry: Ah, sometimes, like when I dressed up like a bottle. How about yours?
Perry: Well, he used to beat me in Morse code, so it's possible, but he never actually said the words.


Harry: [narrating] Anyway, by now you may wonder how I wound up here. Or, maybe not. Maybe you wonder how silly putty picks shit up from comic books. The point is, I don't see another Goddamn narrator, so pipe down.