After Dark, My Sweet (1990)

 IMDB   6.6   
  

      Jack's Rating :    




  Bruce Dern, Rachel Ward and Jason Patric in a neo-noir based on a book by Jim Thompson looked like the makings of a really good movie, but it was just OK.


Kevin Collin, ex-boxer, and escaped mental patient runs in to Fay and her uncle Garrett. She tells him he should leave, and he knows he should, but in the end he hangs around. 

He gets mixed up in a kidnapping for profit scheme Uncle Garrett come up with.

After he takes the boy, the very mixed up Kevin, doesn't know whether he should return the little boy.

When he is picking up the ransom, Uncle Garrett is killed, and Kevin, Fay and the little boy are on the run. Fay eventually shoots and kills Keven, and it seems like it he is almost happy to end his sad life.

A movie with no one to cheer for. Sad characters with sad lives. The film had a great name, a potentially great cast, and a decent story, but somehow it just never came together.



Quotes

Kevin "Kid" Collins: : I wonder where I'll be tomorrow. I wonder why I didn't stay where I was a week ago and a thousand miles from here. I wonder whether I shouldn't go back. They really weren't doing me much good there, it was too over-crowded, too understaffed, too hard-up for money. But they were pretty nice to me, and if I hadn't gotten so damn restless, if they hadn't made it so easy to escape...